Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Mayor is in town!

This past week, Stella Middle Charter Academy had important visits from city and country officials. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Congresswoman Karen Bass and Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson visited. I was asked to photograph the visit for my schools (SMCA/BSSCA). It was probably the most significant event I've photographed to date.
(Congresswoman Karen Bass)
I utilized everything I learned in photojournalism class. I thought as a photojournalist as if my photos would be seen in the paper the next day. I took over 300 photos. My finger never left the shutter really. When you're photographing people, you have to be quick on your feet and look for moments other people would not see. Facial expressions are invaluable and call tell a million stories.

Lisa P. Jackson is seen here discussing classroom subjects with an SMCA student. The officials interacted with the children for over an hour and had a question/answer session. Public officials want to be seen in a good light, and it is the photographers job to look for that one special "moment".
This was a great opportunity I am grateful to have been a part of. A few days later, I received a phone call from the offices of Karen Bass and was asked to email some photos of her that will run in their newsletter to be delivered to 80,000 households in Los Angeles.
Thanks for reading.

See ya

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment