Sunday, March 20, 2011

Los Angeles Marathon

A couple weeks ago I photographed runners at the L.A. Marathon. Several of my students and sister were participants in the grueling 26.2 mile run. Rain was expected that day but it turned into something else. It was literally pouring buckets. Nonetheless, the runners showed up with nothing to dampen their spirits.
My family and I arrived at Fairfax and Sunset, at the 13 mile mark. We were there to show our support and hand out water, bananas, and oranges to the runners. My sister hired me several months before and I promised her I would be there to support and take photos. As the race began, cyclists zoomed past us first. It was exhilarating and inspiring. These people were completely wet from head to toe and raced as if the elements were not present.
The challenges I faced as a photographer were extreme cold and wetness. I too was completed hosed down and was freezing. There was a point in the day where I could no longer feel my fingers or my legs. I took over 300 photos, shot in Manual with a high ISO and only used my telephoto lens. It was a crazy, motivational, cold, and inspiring day.
This is my sister. I am exceedingly proud of her. She finished the race in 4 hours and 16 minutes. She recorded the best time among her students and fellow teachers. I love you sis!

See ya

Jake





No comments:

Post a Comment